Office of Research and Innovation Management
The Directorate of Research and Linkages is a Unit under the Office of the Vice Chancellor.
Core mandate of the Directorate is to pursue the implementation of the University Research Policy and facilitate the research efforts of the University which is geared towards fostering a culture of research excellence at the University.
To achieve the goal of the University in Research, the following activities coordinated by the Directorate are being undertaken by the University.
• Organising regular capacity building workshops for staff on research writing and grant seeking to enable them compete for international research grants
• Encouraging academic staff to undertake cutting edge research to enhance the rating and visibility of the University as a centre of excellence in research
• Encouraging academic staff to engage in result-oriented research activities in their areas of specialization especially those in line with the University’s priorities and are relevant to the needs of the immediate community, Osun State, Nigeria and the rest of the world.
• Providing enabling environment for cutting edge research through the provision of research grants and necessary facilities such as books, journals, laboratories, workshops, studios and ICT equipment.
• Strengthening the University Research Committee to promote and coordinate research activities in the University.
• Consolidating the University Research Ethics Committee to coordinate and regulate all matters pertaining to research ethics and integrity in the University
• Attracting and retaining seasoned research personnel to enhance the conduct of genuine problem solving research.
• Initiating and promoting research linkages with reputable institutions and agencies including industry, community, public service and professional organizations within and outside Nigeria.
• Implementing the existing policy on promotion as it affects research productivity of staff.
• Publishing research findings of academic staff annually to attract funding from various sources.
• Sourcing overseas placement for academics to gain more experience from advanced laboratories and colleagues.
• Supporting staff attendance at short training courses and learned conferences.
• Encouraging academic departments to host learned conferences on campus.
• Strengthen Postgraduate training to enhance the development of a research culture
• Nominating and rewarding staff whose research efforts attracts huge funding and those with publications in high ranking journals for award annually.
University thematic areas of research:
• Integrated food production for sustainable development
• Values systems and implications for education and development.
• Natural resource management
• Infrastructure development
• Human resource management
• Internal diversities and implications for development
• Security and governance in fragile environments
• Food quality and safety
• Renewable energy
• Health systems
• Agrochemicals and health
• Inclusive education
• Urban renewal
• Threatened languages
The University currently have collaboration with the following Institutions/organizations:
• Aarhus University, Denmark
• Dullah Omar Institute, University of the Western Cape South Africa
• Stellenbosch University South Africa
• Medical Research Council (MRC) Gambia
• Indiana University
• University of Kwazulu-Natal South Africa
• University of The Gambia, Banjul
• Alabama A & M University
• International Development and Research Centre (IDRC), Canada
• University of Manitoba, Canada
• University of Saskatchewan
• Cape Breton University, Sydney
• National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN)
• Nigerian Institute of Social and Economic Research (NISER)
• Raw Materials Research and Development Council Abuja
• Teaching and Research in Natural Sciences for Development in Africa (TRenD in Africa)
Development of MOU with some other notable institutions all over the world is at different stages of processing by the Directorate in conjunction with relevant Units of the University.